Fork me on GitHub

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

What good is the feedback for?

What good is the feedback for if I am not going to use it to correct things? What good is a QA for sitting across my desk providing feedback if I am going to ignore it and continue what I am doing? What good is a showcase for if I am going to ignore my client's suggestions? What good is TDD for if I am not going to use it to evolve the design? I have heard a lot of people say the Agile is about short continuous feedback but the question comes back to why? Why we need feedback? Is feedback alone enough? Getting feedback is a way, part of the activity we are doing, not the end.

All these questions made me think about what it means to Agile? I always consider software development to be more of an exploration activity. We explore ways to do things better and along the way we learn new ways and also make a few mistakes. Working over the years my definition of Agile has evolved and my current one seems to be "Agile is a method which helps to reduce the assumptions we hold as fast as possible and make things concrete". When we work on a project we have base our work on a few assumptions or understanding of what needs to be done. They may be assumptions of what client is expecting, or assumptions about a design being evolutionary... But holding on to those assumptions and thinking that we are going down the right path is a way to disaster.

So how is Agile special in reducing the assumptions when compared to waterfall? Both help in that aspect of getting feedback except for Agile gives quick ways to correct our actions or find the right way. Waterfall delays it to the point where sometimes the cost of correction is too high.

Working closely with the client helps in making our understanding better or reducing the assumptions we make, TDD does the same for design, Continuous Integration and deployment helps us to reduce the assumptions we have on production environment. The examples are numerous but I hope you get the point.

So for me Agile is about reducing the assumptions and making things concrete so that we can continue working with confidence.

Let me know your thoughts.

1 comment:

Paulo Caroli said...

I agree with you.
Feedback as an end might not add too much to the SW development activities.
Feedback as a mean to achieve continuous improvement is how I see it being one of the Agile SW development pillars.
cheers,